Cleansing your skin should be the first step in both your morning and night-time skincare regimes, and is an absolute must for youthful, glowing skin. Cleansers are instrumental in removing the dirt, oils and impurities from the surface of our skin and are great for removing makeup too.
Both men and women will benefit considerably from proper facial cleansing. Even if your face looks clean, the chances are, it’s not! Invisible impurities such as pollution, smoke and perfume land on our skin and can cause a lot of unnecessary damage if not properly removed.
What cleanser to choose?
First of all, avoid bar soaps. They are often formulated for the body and contain stronger ingredients than your average facial cleanser as they need the extra potency to clean and deodorise. The skin on your face is far more sensitive (and susceptible to ageing!) so keep the bar soap for the body, and choose a cleanser that is properly formulated for your delicate facial skin.
Choosing the right cleanser for your skin is very important, and varies according to your skin type.
- Dry skin? Look for a hydrating cleanser that’s sulphate-free and contains ingredients such as aloe vera that will provide wonderful hydrating properties. How to tell if your skin is dry? You will likely have dry or flaky patches, and/or skin that’s sensitive to temperature extremes and changes. Fine lines are often more noticeable on dry skin too. The good thing about dry skin is that it often has less blemishes and breakouts.
- Skin that is on the oily side will have excess oil build-up in the T-zone area (forehead, nose, chin and inner cheeks). People who have oily skin tend to be more prone to blemishes and breakouts. The good news is that those with oily skin tend to look a bit younger because fine lines are much less noticeable. Look for an oil-free formula.
Got a good cleanser for your skin type? Now follow these simple steps for glowing skin…
- Before you cleanse your skin, clean your hands. The last thing you want to do is spread germs over your face.
- Only cleanse your skin using warm water. Never use water that’s overly hot or cold as extremes in water temperature can damage the capillaries in your skin.
- Massage the cleanser into your skin using a circular motion. Be sure to thoroughly massage your skin including your neck and throat area. Be careful when washing around your eyes.
- Once you’ve massaged the cleanser into your skin, rinse until your face is clean, then gently pat your skin dry with a clean towel.
- Follow the cleansing process with a toner then apply your serum, eye cream/gel and day or night time moisturiser to complete your daily skin care regime.
- Once a week, try to exfoliate your skin to remove the dead skin cells, and try a face mask too.
Written by beauty expert, Jacquie Carter. Jacquie is Director of Outer Nutrition at Herbalife